In accordance with the FIRST SCHEDULE SECTION 11(2) of Act 829 (2011) the following facilities SHALL be licensed by HeFRA in order to operate as new facility or continue to operate as an existing facility:
- Medical and Dental (clinics and hospitals)
- Eye care clinics
- Convalescent and nursing homes
- Geriatric homes
- Maternity homes
- Occupational thereapy clinics
- Physiotherapy clinics
- Dental technology laboratories
- Clinical and biomedical laboratories
- Medical assistant clinics
- Diagnostic – imaging technology clinics
- Pharmacies and chemical shops
- Esteopathy clinics
- Prostherics and orthotics clinics
- And any other facility that the minister deems necessary to be licensed.
To operate a new facility or to continue to operate an existing one an application SHALL be made to HeFRA for a license.
PLEASE NOTE THAT NO NEW FACILITY SHALL OPERATE WITHOUT FIRST REGISTERING WITH HeFRA.
The process of licensing begins with the purchase of an application form from HeFRA. The applicant has a short period of time within which to submit the completed application form with all required documents.
Following submission, a period is given to the facility to prepare for an inspection to be carried out. If the inspection report indicates a positive recommendation for the facility to operate then a license is issued to enable the facility to operate. In cases where the inspection report raises areas for further work or of concern then a period of time is given to the facility to address these issues to the satisfaction of the inspection team.
Under section 23 of the Act, a person SHALL be liable on summary conviction to a fine or a term of imprisonment or both for contravening any part of the Act including for failing to register and obtain a licence from HeFRA.